316 Mary Ellen Jones Bldg UNC Chapel Hill (919) 966-3944
1992 BA Physics, DePauw University 1999,1996 PhD,MS Bioengineering, University of Colorado 2003 MS Solid Mechanics, Colorado State University 1999-2002 Post-doc Bioengineering, University of Colorado
Research and Publications:
A current interest of my research group is to study radiation therapy-induced osteoporosis in a mouse model for women with gynecological tumors. We want to test prophylactic therapies and understand the mechanisms causing a rapid activation of osteoclastic bone resorption; specifically the role of the inflammatory cytokines IL-1 and TNF_ and the bone matrix derived protein TGF_. The research requires and understanding of normal tissue radiation biology in the context of bone biology and mechanics. This work will refine our irradiation procedures to best model the X-ray dose each hip receives during radiotherapy, ensure our models are germane to the clinical condition, generate results in the context of the normal tissue radiation biology and osteoimmunology, and study of altered bone material properties via Raman spectroscopy.
1. Willey, JS, Lloyd, SAJ, Robbins, ME, Bourland, JD, Smith-Sielicki, H, Bowman, LC, Norrdin, RW, Bateman, TA Early increase in osteoclast number in mice following whole-body irradiation with 2 Gy x-rays. Radiat Res, 170:388-92; 2008.
2. DL, Allen, Bandstra, ER, Harrison, BC, Thorng, S, Stodieck, LS, Kosteniuk, PJ, Morony, S, Lacey, DL,Hammond, TG, Leinwand, LL, Argraves, WS, Bateman, TA, and Barth, JL Effects of spaceflight on murine skeletal muscle gene expression. J Applied Physiology, 106:582-95; 2008.
3. Lloyd, SAJ, Yuan, YY, Simske, SJ, Riffle, SE, Ferguson, VL, Bateman, TA Administration of high-dose macrophage colony-stimulating factor increases bone turnover and trabecular volume fraction. J Bone Miner Metab, PMID: 19326045; 2009.
4. Bandstra, ER, Thompson, RW, Nelson, GA, Judex, S, Cairns, MA, Benton, ER, Willey, JS, Vazquez, ME, Carson, JA, Bateman, TA Bone and muscle changes in mice from 25-50 cGy of modeled galactic cosmic rays. Radiation Research, PMID 19580504, 172:21-29; 2009.
5. Willey, JS, Livingston, EW, Robbins, ME, Bourland, JD, Tirado-Lee, L, Smith-Sielicki, H, Bateman, TA Risedronate Prevents Early Radiation-Induced Bone Loss in Mice at Multiple Skeletal Locations. Bone, PMID: 19747571; 2010.