1000 Quiet Ridge Circle Raleigh, NC 27614 (919) 844-0343
BS, 1972-1976, University of Notre Dame MD, 1976-1980, SUNY Health Sciences Center at Syracuse
Research and Publications:
Research Area: Biomedical Microdevices
Research: Delineation of strategic directions in tissue engineering and identification and rectification of rate limiting steps in tissue engineered medical product commercialization.
Peter C. Johnson, MD is a University of Notre Dame and SUNY Upstate Medical University graduate. After General and Plastic Surgery training, Dr. Johnson practiced reconstructive surgery for ten years at U. Pittsburgh where he founded and was the first President of the Pittsburgh Tissue Engineering Initiative. Subsequent roles were co-founder/CEO of TissueInformatics, EVP of Life Sciences, CMO and CBO of Icoria, EVP, Entegrion, Inc. and VP, Research and Development and Medical and Scientific Affairs of Vancive Medical Technologies, an Avery Dennison business. He presently serves as President and CEO of Scintellix, LLC and Chief Medical Advisor to Vancive Medical Technologies. He has chaired the Plastic Surgery Research Council, was President of the Pennsylvania Biotechnology Association and the Tissue Engineering Society, International and is presently the Co-Editor-in-Chief of the three-part Journal, Tissue Engineering. He serves on the Industry Committee of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS) on the board of the Transverse Myelitis Association and on the Industry Advisory Board of the UNC/NC State Joint Program in Bioengineering. He is an Adjunct Professor of Surgery, Bioengineering and Business at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, of Bioengineering at NC State and of Regenerative Medicine at Wake Forest University School of Medicine. He is an avid cook, fly fisherman, artist and novelist.
1. Mikos, A and Johnson, PC, Editorial: Redefining Tissue Engineering and Our New Rapid Publication Policy, Tissue Engineering 12(6), 2006, pages 1-2.
2. Johnson, PC, Mikos, AG, Fisher, JP, Jansen, JA, Strategic directions in tissue engineering, Tissue Eng., 13, 2827-2837 (2007).
3. Fisher, JP, Mikos, AG, Johnson, PC, Jansen, JA, A Continued Commitment to Quality Research in Tissue Engineering, Tissue Engineering Part A. 14(9): 1457-1458 (2008).
4. Fischer, TH, Vournakis, JN, Manning, JE, McCurdy, SL, Rich, PB, Nichols, TC, Scull, CM, McCord, MG, DeCorta, JA, Johnson, PC, Smith, CJ, The Design and Testing of a Dual Fiber Textile Matrix for Accelerated Hemostasis, Accepted for Publication, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 2009.
5. Reis, SE, Berglund, L, Bernard, GR, Califf, R, FitzGerald, GA, Johnson, PC for the National CTSA Consortium, A Roadmap for Reengineering the National Clinical and Translational Research Enterprise: The National Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Consortium